Monday, September 27, 2010

Say yah to da U.P., eh!

The Upper Peninsula contains almost one-fourth of the land area of Michigan but just three percent of its total population. Residents of the U.P. frequently identify themselves as Yoopers, while calling people living in the Lower Peninsula "trolls", because they live "under da bridge".  The Bridge being the only thing that connects the lower and upper peninsula of Michigan.  I've been told that Yoopers identify more with the people of Wisconsin and Minnesota, than with the trolls.  So I am taking some time to reflect on my experiences while traveling to the U.P.

I've deducted from my observations that the major industry in the U.P. is mosquito farming:

The most favored pass time of yoopers seems to be snow-swimming (since the land/water is covered with snow/ice for roughly 11 months of the year).  The man pictured below chose to partake in an all-to-common snow-swimming and skinny dipping combo.  Remembered: flippers and snorkel are required, swimsuit is optional. 

3 comments:

  1. haha, wtf @ guy in the snow

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy in the snow, that picture was taken by my friend from school!! It's his idiot neighbour...I'm from B.C., Canada, it doesn't snow too much here but when it does...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife took this photo. It's not clear here but I have two lengths on the others. This photo was never intended for internet publication but wtf.
    DML (Dance Me Loose)
    apostle pete

    ReplyDelete